Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society.
We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits including a business casual work environment, a great health benefits package, an amazing retirement plan, and several other fantastic benefits such as: personal enrichment benefits (where you can take classes of personal interest to you), a gym reimbursement program, a tuition reimbursement program, a matching gifts program, regular employee events and celebrations, free on-site yoga and meditation classes, and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
We are currently seeking a proactive, professional, and personable Executive Assistant in our Palo Alto office to provide executive level administrative support for our President & Editor-in-Chief (PEIC) and to support effective communication between the Board and management of our organization.
In this engaging role, you will:
- Schedule appointments and meetings, maintain PEIC calendar, meet with PEIC each morning to confirm daily priorities, and keep PEIC informed throughout the day of meetings, issues requiring attention and deadlines.
- Compose correspondence (Editorial Committee Members, unsolicited requests to join committees, etc.) and assist with preparing and editing reports, presentations and presentation materials.
- Provide broad administrative support to the PEIC including preparing expense reports, filing, handling incoming and outgoing mail and coordinating PEIC airline travel to Editorial Committee Meetings, conferences, and other meetings.
- Provide support to senior members of the management team to support Editorial Committee Management and corporate governance, and provide support to the Board as needed.
- Schedule and attend the monthly Management Team meetings. Coordinate agenda items, assist with guiding the meeting to keep the agenda on track, confirm action items and distribute action points following the meetings.
- Work with and schedule regular meetings with the PEIC and Associate Editor-in-Chief (AEIC) to manage Editorial Committee membership transitions and associated issues and discuss upcoming Editorial Committee turnover and opportunities to increase the diversity among members.
- Research and create Board of Directors’ ballots for Editorial Committee nominees and implement appropriate follow-up actions, including initiating invitation letters and updating key databases.
- Assist with planning and execution of all corporate governance meetings including scheduling meetings, arranging catering, making travel arrangements, confirming agendas, attending meetings and creating accurate meeting minutes.
- Assist Corporate Secretary as custodian of official records ensuring all documentation, including meeting minutes and Articles and Bylaws are securely stored and readily available when required for reports, elections, etc. Distribute any confidential documents in an appropriate and secure manner.
- Manage journal and other trademark registrations.
- Assist with preparation and proofreading of communications as needed.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- 3+ years of related experience, preferably reporting to executive management or working as a manager; BA/BS strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience; Prior experience with managing calendars, organizing meetings, and planning events. Experience working with a board of directors preferred
- Excellent Computer Skills: Advanced knowledge and skills with MS Office Suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint; proficiency in Adobe Acrobat and internet research; prior experience using database software and ability to master organization’s proprietary database (Pivotal); and great transcription skills with the ability to quickly take meeting minutes
- Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively organize thoughts and information, communicate with diplomacy, and demonstrate professional decorum
- Reliable, dependable, flexible, service oriented, and good sense of humor
- Ability to confidently speak to or address Board of Directors, governing committee members, and Editorial Committee members one to one or in a large meeting
- Ability to develop and maintain long-term business relationships with academia
- Ability to analyze situations effectively, demonstrated success using excellent judgment and decision-making skills, acting as a gatekeeper, understanding priorities and take appropriate action when needed
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to produce accurate and high-quality work
- Strong organizational skills and focus with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, follow-through and meet deadlines, and anticipate what needs to or should be done next
- A strong work ethic, resourceful with the ability to work well independently and self-manage while recognizing situations that require the PEIC’s attention
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to group dynamics and work collaboratively with others
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Strong proofreading skills
- A willingness to persist when needed and respectfully disagree or question an issue during discussions with your manager for the benefit of the organization
- Ability to quickly learn and understand business operations and how each department functions and works together to accomplish organizational objectives
- Ability to work on a weekend day (1-3 times a year)
- An interest in scholarly publishing and a strong desire to engage with the organization’s mission preferred
- A familiarity with nonprofit organizations and the structure and process of board and/or committee meetings desired
- Proficiency with foreign language(s) a plus
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at: http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ANNUALREVIEWS&cws=1&rid=95
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, age, and protected Veteran status.
If, because of your disability, you require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at: email@example.com.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.