Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with members of the Facilities and Real Estate Team in a variety of waste management initiatives
- Setting up tradeshow-like table displays showing different waste items that go into 3 streams: compost, landfill, recycling
- Creating presentation materials and graphics to display benefits of waste separation
- Conducting waste audits at waste dumpsters
- Tracking the level of contamination between waste streams
- Occasionally weighting waste bags for auditing purposes
- Occasionally hand sorting waste objects like soda cans, plastic food containers
- Assisting with other duties related to waste management and sustainability as directed
- Becoming an advocate of sustainability
- Ideally, outgoing personality with the ability to communicate clearly and engage with a diverse audience
- Ideally, we would like to hire a rising Senior in pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Occupational Health and Safety or related major. Recent graduates with interest in some aspect of sustainability and protecting the environment are welcome to apply!
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work independently, collaborate in Teams and display initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; persuasive communication skills highly desired.
- Ability to multi-tasking skills and stay organized.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Spanish bilingual a plus, but not required.
- Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
- Fast paced, high volume, detail oriented work environment.
- Requires the ability to walk, move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects or materials.
- Lift up to 25 pounds unassisted.
- Requires extensive use of hands (ability to reach over, bend and extend hands).
- Reach above and below shoulder height, constant walking, standing in one place for long periods of time, bending, stooping, lifting, kneeling, etc.
- Work in varying temperature environments (internal and external parts of the building).
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.