JOB SUMMARY: The Budget Analyst III reports to the Manager, Budgets and is responsible for analyzing and preparing the operating and capital budgets for three agencies: the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain), and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA).
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Receive, review, and monitor cost center manager budget requests for SamTrans, Caltrain, and TA capital and operating programs.
- Prepare the budget report in the monthly financial statement and staff reports for Board approval.
- Review and verify budget authority for both operating and capital projects for all three agencies, including monthly and quarterly staff reports.
- Review and analyze year-over-year budget changes, historical and future trends, and project budget assumptions.
- Liaison with internal staff and external stakeholders to provide and/or retrieve budget information.
- Assist with development of annual budget process; development of baseline budgets, and processing new budget requests for approval by executive team.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Analyze and process the activation of funds for capital projects.
- Monitor the implementation of the funding plan for capital projects.
- Provide operating and capital analysis for current budget year activities.
- Conduct training for Cost Center Managers for the budget process.
- Process budget transfer requests.
- Prepare the monthly financial statement presented to the Board of Directors.
- Prepare the annual budget book based on the Government Finance Officer Associations’ (GFOA) standards and best practices.
- Prepare budget presentations for Citizen’s Advisory Committees and Board of Directors approval.
- Prepare funding applications to the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) for State Transit Assistance and Transportation Development Act funds.
- Prepare the statistical portion of Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for all three business units.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION: Works under the general supervision of the Manager, Budgets who establishes goals and objectives and evaluates performance.
Sufficient education, training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Three years full-time increasingly responsible experience in budgeting or financial analysis.
- Experience with grant budgeting is desirable.
- Experience in the public sector is desirable.
- Experience with automated financial management system (e.g. PeopleSoft) is desirable.
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
Applications will be screened for completeness and minimum qualifications.
Written and/or skills assessment examination.
Finalists will be interviewed by a screening and selection panel.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS AT SAMTRANS:
Holidays: Seven paid holidays, plus up to five floating holidays per year
Time Off: Up to 26 days per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance and more
Transportation: Free Bus Transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Pension: Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS) and Social Security
Classic Members – 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
New Members – 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor
Online applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Friday, February 15, 2019.