JOB SUMMARY: The Accountant II reports to an Accountant III and performs a variety of accounting activities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) for the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (JPB), and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA).
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Review, analyze, and reconcile revenue, expenses, accounts receivable, accounts payable, deferred revenue, and member agency contribution accounts.
- Compile, interpret and analyze accounting data such as budget, encumbrances and expenses.
- Review accounting documents to ensure accuracy of information and calculations. Make necessary correcting entries.
- Analyze accounting variances, trends, exceptions and discrepancies.
- Process and analyze accounting data in an electronic Enterprise Resource Planning database (ERP).
- Prepare financial statements, bank reconciliations, and reports.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Review and analyze transactions for completeness, accuracy and proper coding.
- Maintain system sub ledgers; prepare journal entries.
- Analyze project costs, grant expenditures, and fixed asset accounting. Add, delete, and adjust fixed asset information.
- Prepare journal entries and reconciliation of general ledger to subsidiary ledgers.
- Assist in preparing documentation for annual audits and year-end financial reporting.
- Answer accounting questions, and resolve issues for internal and external customers.
- Assist in preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs).
- Prepare the State Controller’s Report and National Transit Database Reports.
- Input payment vouchers, cost reports and other documents into the ERP.
- Review documentation for proper authorization and conformance with agreements, contracts and local, state or federal regulations.
- Process expense reports, invoices, progress payments and other requests for payments.
- Process the weekly pay cycle and provide weekly accounts payable cash estimates.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION: Work under the supervision of an Accountant III, who establishes goals and objectives and evaluates performance.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Three years of full-time accounting or related experience.
- Experience in the public sector is desirable.
- Experience with general ledger is desirable
- Must have experience with ERP databases; PeopleSoft experience is desirable.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
Applications will be screened for completeness and minimum qualifications.
Written and/or skills assessment examination.
Finalists will be interviewed by a screening and selection panel.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS AT SAMTRANS:
Holidays: Seven paid holidays, plus up to five floating holidays per year
Time Off: Up to 26 days per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance and more
Transportation: Free Bus Transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Pension: Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS) and Social Security
Classic Members – 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
New Members – 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor
Online applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Friday, February 15, 2019.