Champion Vision Health for our Patients: As under served populations lose access to care, it becomes more important than ever that those who can lend their skills and passion to serving their communities step forward, live their values, and advance our mission. Join the La Clínica family and work shoulder to shoulder with some of the most dedicated eye care professionals you'll meet. It will be hard work, but the sense of teamwork, commitment to our community, and our dedication to giving our diverse patients the high quality care they deserve, will be worth it. You will be rewarded by your work with patients whose families choose La Clínica generation after generation. You will see the impact of your efforts in the faces of our patients. You will further your professional development through opportunities for mentorship, leadership, and continuing education designed to expand your reach as a mission-driven eye care provider. We offer robust perks including educational leave plus stipend, license reimbursement, FTCA malpractice coverage, and flexible work schedules. In addition, we are a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) approved site for tax free loan repayment. Our clinics are located in the thriving Bay Area known for its cultural diversity, beautiful weather, highly sought after schools and year-round recreational activities.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Examine eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness
- Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan
- Perform all routine vision and ocular examinations in order to provide appropriate corrections.
- Provide patients undergoing eye surgeries, such as cataract and laser vision correction, with pre- and post-operative care
- Train assistants to perform screening and other functions as appropriate
- Prescribe therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision
- Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
- Consult with and refer patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary
- Implement continuing education and screening programs
Collaboration & Mentorship
- Act as administrative and operations resource to optometry student interns
- Attend staff meetings as deemed necessary
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures
- Knowledge of modern optometric methods, procedures, practices. Contact lens experience essential.
- Knowledge and experience in ortho-optics and visual training preferred
- Knowledge of evidence based approaches to optical care
- Cultural competence working in diverse/low income communities
- Ability to perform eye examinations on children and adults
- Ability in exercising sound judgment in quickly evaluating emergency situations; in rendering prompt decisions
- Ability to write concisely and legibly; communicate effectively; and relate congenially to patients and staff
- Ability to meet requirements for obtaining UPIN and for participation on insurance panels
- Bilingual required: Spanish, Cantonese, Arabic, Vietnamese or Mam.
- Able to commute to 3 different site within the Bay Area
Experience and Other Certifications
- Graduation from an accredited school of optometry, Doctor of Optometry degree
- Requires valid California Optometry license
- One year internship and/or experience in a community clinic or private practice
- Experience supervising student interns desirable
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.