Under the supervision of the NOVA Job Center Regional Manager or Department Lead, the Customer Service Rep is responsible for providing excellent customer service to job seekers and employers and focus on continuous improvement by following and promoting the federal Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA). The role will entail client interfacing, assisting any clients (job seekers) with all job search inquiries and referrals to resources, data entry as well as a variety of general clerical duties. Maintain confidentiality regarding individual customers and program operations. Responsible for assisting job seekers in the Resource Room and answering all incoming calls.
About NOVA Job Center of San Mateo:
NOVA Job Center is a non-profit, federally-funded employment and training agency that provides customer-focused workforce development services. We work closely with local businesses, educators, and job seekers to ensure that our programs provide opportunities that build the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to address the workforce needs of San Mateo County and Silicon Valley.
- AA or BA degree in a related field is preferred
- Minimum of two years' experience in employment and training programs or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA) legislation is beneficial.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Must have excellent grammar, excellent written and oral communication skills and be competent with various computer programs.
- Must be able to function with minimal supervision and demonstrate sound judgment consistently.
- Assists in identifying job seekers that may need more staff assisted services and makes referrals to NOVA Job Center WIOA Orientation and other workshops
- Assists NOVA Job Center clients, partners, and staff
- May assist with MIS functions at NOVA Job Center
- Assist Manager and Career Advisors with administrative support
- Schedules and/or confirms appointments such as intake and eligibility, workshops, etc.
- Manage, update, and maintain physical job in the resource room as well as digital job board via Google Drive
- Assists with facilitating Job Seeker Assessments
- Assist with gathering required documentation necessary to determine eligibility
- Explains program services, including policies and procedures
- Make corrections to data entry errors when necessary
- Periodically enters case notes in customer files
- Answers multi-line telephone and records messages accurately
- Greets customers and refers them to appropriate staff in a friendly and professional manner
- Perform receptionist duties
- Assists with information gathering, searching electronic databases and routine customer inquiries and questions
- Collaborates with partners and non-partners to facilitate the delivery of services to the customer
- Arranges and makes participant referrals to various community resources
- Provides guidance to job seekers in the resource room, including assistance accessing informational resources, websites, using resource room equipment, etc.
- Organizes and maintains order within the Resource Room
- Monitors activity and equipment usage to ensure that Resource Room Guidelines are complied with and Dress Code is adhered to
- May represent NOVA at events such as job fairs/career fairs, etc.
- Maintains client filing system
- Provides monthly progress reports to the Site Manager or Department Lead
- Maintains databases, creates Word documents and performs various administrative functions
- From time to time may be assigned to work on special projects
- Performs other related duties as assigned
This position may entail working more than 40 hours per week on occasion. The CSR must have the ability to work with clients who are angry, frustrated and/or frightened as a result of losing their job(s); the CSR must be able and willing to handle work in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of local industries that encompass the economy and demographics of San Mateo County with specific understanding and awareness of job skill requirements; ability to analyze fiscal, demographic and labor market information as it relates to the development of customer needs.
- Makes logical and judicious decisions and provides workable solutions to problems; weighs alternative decisions and reduces outcome risks.
- Strong interpersonal skills; communicates effectively with individuals from diverse economic backgrounds, as well as with all types and levels of employers; ability to use collaborative approaches to build support for objectives; build positive relationships within and outside the agency; involves others and disseminates information; seeks solutions where all parties can contribute and benefit; recognizes and respects diverse ideas; encourages and supports others.
- Goal and result orientated. Ability to meet time commitments and follow through to task/job completion. Strong work ethic and capacity for responsibility.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.