Title: Registered Nurse (Hospice)
Department: Home Care & Hospice
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Hospice Director of Patient Care Services
Summary: Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families.
· Assesses and identifies patient and/or family needs and provides appropriate physical and emotional support in accordance with physician’s orders and plan of care.
· Develops, evaluates and revises patient’s individualized plan of care in collaboration with Hospice and Palliative Medicine Physician and Director of Patient Care Services, and other members of the Inter-Disciplinary Group and patient’s primary care physician.
· Evaluates progress towards desired outcomes and updates the patient’s plan of care as appropriate to changing patient and family needs.
· Coordinates all patient and family services and community resources as needed.
· Assesses all aspects of the patient’s pain and develops an individualized pain management plan.
· Anticipates, prevents and treats undesirable symptoms or secondary symptoms.
· Supports the patient’s unique spiritual and cultural beliefs.
· Maintains the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of the dying patient.
· Provides holistic, family-centered care to improve the patient’s quality of life.
· Identifies and addresses signs of actively dying patients.
· Coordinates physical care of the patient by teaching and/or training patients, primary caregivers, volunteers, employed caregivers, and by providing direct care as appropriate.
· Collaborates and consults with the interdisciplinary group to discuss issues related to patient care.
· Coordinates patient care plan of declining patients with after hours on call staff.
· Coordinates care for patient with staff of SNF and RCFE/Board and Care facilities.
· Supervises performance of Home Health Aides.
· Participates in in-service training programs for professional staff, as well as quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
· Completes patient-related documentation within 24 hours of the shift worked.
· Coordinates and manages patient care with awareness of insurance benefits, necessary authorizations and cost containment.
· Adheres to and complies with state and federal regulations.
· Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses.
· Prefer minimum one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute care. Experience with oncology or hospice preferred.
· Must be able to cope with patient and family emotional stress and be tolerant of individual lifestyles without judgment.
· Able to work both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
· Currently CPR Certified.
· Must pass health screening for TB clearance, physical examination and background check.
· Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, and ability to use electronic health record software.
· Knowledgeable of Medicare regulations.
· Bilingual in English and Cantonese. Mandarin & Toishanese a plus.
· Must be able to travel via public transportation or personal/department vehicle for performance of job duties. If driving, must have and maintain a valid CA driver license, satisfactory driving record, and auto insurance coverage as specified in Self-Help's policy.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.