Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Department: HICAP – San Mateo
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Program Manager
Summary: Responsible to recruit, screen and train new volunteer counselors for San Mateo HICAP.
· Recruits, screens and trains new volunteer counselors; provides guidance and support during training, internship and initial placement of those who are registered with California Department of Aging (CDA). Responsible for documenting and inputting internship training hours in SHARP (Peer Place) within a timely manner.
· Provides on-site observations of volunteer counselors to evaluate their skill level and interactions with clients, documents observation and reports it to the Program Manager; provides technical assistance to interns and registered counselors regarding Medicare topics or program procedures as needed.
· Provides on-going training to interns, administrative volunteers and registered counselors in using the state mandated SHARP system; this also includes answering their questions about the database throughout the year. Responsible for creating SHARP usernames and staying in compliance with CDA guidelines for SHARP users, and troubleshooting volunteers problems with database.
· Substitutes for volunteers counselors at counseling sites when needed.
· Responsible monthly for updating counselor’s files in SHARP by inputting volunteer hours in it; this includes in-service hours and non-counseling hours by the 15th of every month for the previous month. Updating volunteer files as needed throughout the year.
· By the 5th of every month, verifying counselors have entered their client intakes in SHARP for the previous month; responsible for contacting the counselors who haven’t done so by e-mailing them and keeping an updated spreadsheet regarding the missing intakes.
· Assists in maintaining up-to-date contact information for volunteers, interns, and counseling sites; updates the volunteer roster and WAAG quarterly or as needed. Contacts counseling sites quarterly to determine site closures in the upcoming months.
· Identifies potential counseling sites in target areas and initiates a conversation with site coordinator about hosting HICAP counseling there. Revise the counseling site agreement as needed. Responsible for getting counseling site agreements signed yearly.
· Responsible for training staff on the HICAP centralized appointment system (Google calendar), including appointment confirmation with clients, HICAP counselors and site notification.
· Performs all duties necessary to assist the Program Manager in ensuring program compliance with its contractual obligations regarding the volunteer component of the program.
· Responsible for the coordination of volunteer events and trainings; such as in-service and recognition events. This also includes developing, printing and editing printed materials, refreshments, confirmation of trainers/speakers, setting up power point equipment and other duties needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training with a minimum of two years of experience working in senior services, preferably in a non-profit setting. Experience in counseling and/or working with volunteers preferred.
· Must complete HICAP counselor training and/or registration within 6 to 12 months of employment, depending on program needs.
· Knowledge of Medicare, Medi-Cal, Medigap, managed care, long-term care insurance and health care delivery systems preferred.
· Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills; and experience in group presentations. Bilingual in English and Chinese/Spanish preferred.
· Must be self-motivated, organized and able to multitask under minimal supervision.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment; lift or pull 25 lbs.
· Sensitive to the needs of the elderly and disabled adults from diverse ethnic and minority cultures.
· Proficient in MS Office and the internet.
· Must have and maintain valid CA driver license, satisfactory driving record, and auto insurance coverage as specified in Self-Help’s policy.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.