- Performs daily work involving the handling of rodent animal models, animals with immuno-compromised health status, pregnant or nursing dams, neonates, etc.
- Provide feed and water to animals daily or according to established schedules, including verification of (automated) water supply to the cage level.
- Perform cage change (primary enclosures) when soiled or according to established schedules, following proper technique and ensures that animals are not contaminated when outside of their primary enclosure.
- Maintain animal rooms (secondary enclosures) in a neat, clean and orderly state daily so that secondary infections or other contamination do not occur.
- Perform routine maintenance, sanitation, environmental monitoring, inspect equipment for damage and other routine tasks (clean or change rack air filters, replace room exhaust filters, flush racks, etc.) as required.
- Maintain support rooms, hallways, cage wash areas, feed and bedding rooms in a neat, clean and orderly state daily so that secondary infections or other contamination do not occur.
- Knowledge of common murine species including care, handling, genetics and performing technical procedures.
- Experience working with and caring for domestic, farm or lab animals is desirable.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, have excellent time management, organizational, communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to learn bar code scanner and iPad technology and be able to use a computer for communication, training and documentation.
- Customer-focused attitude and enjoys working with similarly dedicated individuals in a team fashion within a high-energy research environment and a proven ability to successfully work independently.
- Understanding of federal regulations, veterinary medicine and standards related to animal use and be sensitive to the needs of the animals in their care.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.