Who we are: La Clínica de La Raza is a community-based health center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality, and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal our communities without also addressing the economic and social factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge that links individuals to our health center for preventive and primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clínica because it is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano counties.
Position Summary: As we build out our first call center, you will have a distinct opportunity to work as part of a team that serves as the first point of contact for all of our patients. Your prior customer support experience in a call center will be important as you assist and route our patients to the right service department or individual. Ultimately, success in this role will require a high degree of interpersonal competence, which includes possessing excellent customer service skills, helping callers who may not be sure which service they may require and patiently assisting and guiding them. Your effectiveness as a call center agent will be measured by your ability to work in a fast-paced environment remaining calm and pleasant, knowledgeable and confident to appropriately route calls and leave a positive impression on the caller. This job requires a commitment to be in service to others and the ability to have fun will enable you to enjoy the work and embrace the reality that some days will be tougher than others and there is always an opportunity to serve.
Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
Prompt & Professional Customer Service
- Answer incoming calls and provide patients and others the necessary information or services related to their healthcare needs or connecting them to the appropriate service or individual as per the prescribed protocols.
- Resolve patients' inquiries in the first call or instance as far as possible, with calls being answered and handled in an expedient and efficient manner.
- Assist patients in conveying their concerns regarding their health to their provider, nurse or other staff member who will meet their need for services such as prescription refills, questions regarding their diagnostic tests or medications or treatments.
- Handle complaints appropriately as instructed and troubleshoot problems to resolution as far as possible before seeking assistance.
- Always maintain the highest level of customer service with a calm and pleasant demeanor to callers, colleagues and other staff.
Appointment Scheduling & Registration
- Book appointments in the Electronic Practice Management System as requested by the patients for the services provided by the La Clínica clinics in Contra Costa.
- Facilitate patient registration by providing general information to the patient and forward the inquiry to the Registration and Billing staff as appropriate.
- Comply with HIPAA and other regulations as required
Clerical Support & Productivity
- Document call information in the patient's Electronic Health Record (EHR) according to standard operating procedures of the clinics in a timely manner.
- Actively participate and demonstrate efforts in meeting goals and targets set for the department.
- Work in an open office, in a fast-paced, energetic, interaction-filled close environment that is target driven and has daily expectations for results.
- Follow all protocols, procedures and policies of the Call Center in discharging functions and comply with posted schedules.
- Daily strive to meet the set goals and targets and be fully engaged in the team's efforts to provide the highest level of patient experience.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Manager or supervisor.
- Knowledgeable about the organization's information, clinic details and other information that will be sought by patients and others.
- Knowledge of health information systems along with medical and dental terminology.
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically, word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, and use of information systems.
- Provide outstanding individualized customer service in a professional manner
- Analyze caller's concerns and provide appropriate solutions
- Be detail-oriented
- Demonstrate active listening and professional telephone communication skills
- Work well with a diverse population showing cultural sensitivity
- Organize and prioritize work, multi-tasking, and setting priorities to manage time effectively
- Work independently as well as part of a team
Other Certifications & Experience
- High School diploma or Bachelor's degree preferred
- Bi-lingual skills preferably Spanish-speaking
- Any training or certifications in customer service received
- Previous experience in a customer support role required
- Call center experience, healthcare related preferred
- Front Office or Clerical experience in medical office or health insurance firm preferred