*** To be considered for this position, please use this link to apply: https://careers-edenhousing.icims.com/jobs/2166/compliance-specialist/job ***
Compliance Specialist-Central Office - Hayward
Under general direction of the Compliance Manager, Associate Director of Compliance, or Director of Compliance, the Compliance Specialist provides support to the company goals surrounding occupancy compliance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for general compliance duties such as completing file audits for assigned properties, enforcement of policies and procedures, special projects and serving as a resource to property staff regarding compliance. Other duties may be assigned.
COMPLIANCE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Regularly audit 20% of files for sites with upcoming regulatory agency inspections and audits or as assigned by Compliance Manager or Associate Director of Compliance (Tax Credit, HUD-MOR, HOME, etc.). Facilitate pre-audit meeting with onsite staff and Property Supervisor.
- Support and provide input on systems to monitor site compliance with all regulatory agreements and requirements.
- Provide one-on-one and group trainings to ensure full program compliance.
- Develop strong working relationships with property supervisors, community managers, community assistance managers and other key property operations staff.
- Coordinate with community managers and property supervisors to complete monthly pre-posting reports of the HUD vouchers through Yardi. Help develop and maintain internal policies for submission.
- Maintain technical and professional knowledge by attending trainings as needed, and becoming certified in HUD/LIHTC and all appropriate funding source certification programs.
- Assist with lease-up activities of new sites, which may include attending meetings, providing staffing support, and auditing move-in files.
- Assist the compliance team in developing compliance procedures. Assist with the creation of forms to comply with government program requirements and regulations. Ensure all forms are accessible and up-to-date on the companywide Intranet.
- Assist in updating the maximum annual income limits/maximum rents for each county on an annual basis, where applicable. Assist in the communication and messaging of change to all impacted staff.
- Assist in the notification and messaging of utility allowances changes for tax credit properties.
- Regularly spot check files approved via the 3rd party file review consultant.
- Suggest and submit articles / updates on key compliance topics impacting property operations.
- Review compliance support portal requests daily and address tickets within 24-48 hours.
- Performs administrative duties including data entry into property management software
No supervisory responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university preferred; equivalent experience accepted.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of residents or staff of the organization. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other staff of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Willingness to learn to prepare annual budgets.
Ability to solve financial, maintenance and people problems logically and creatively with minimal supervision or direction. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have reliable automobile transportation, a valid California Driver’s License and insurance. Minimum two years’ experience working in an affordable housing development and management company. One year managing people, projects, materials and information. Current HUD certification or attainment within six months of hire. Current tax credit certification or attainment within six months of hire.
OTHER DESIRABLE SKILLS, ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Positive attitude, good sense of humor, energetic, assertive, and a capable role model for colleagues.
- Demonstrated integrity on a professional level.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Word and Excel. Yardi software knowledge a plus.
- Ability to handle a large number of projects at once and shifting priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Second language skill a plus.\
*** To be considered for this position, please use this link to apply: https://careers-edenhousing.icims.com/jobs/2166/compliance-specialist/job***
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.