Tutorial Assistant - Mathematics
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 19-061
Campus: De Anza College
Close/Initial Review Date: 1/30/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Starting Salary: $19.79 (per hour); Salary Grade: C1-35
Full Salary Range: $19.79 - $26.17 (per hour)
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the part-time classified-hourly position above.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
• Critical thinking
Reporting to the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) Supervisor, the DSPS Tutorial Assistant for Mathematics will be working with students with varied learning, physical, or psychological challenges. The person in this position must be able to demonstrate the ability to tutor students in Calculus, Trigonometry; math required Physics, and other higher-level Mathematics courses. The ideal candidate would be able to provide assistance to students in the areas of academics, executive functioning, and learning strategies in a clear, professional, and empathetic manner. Tutors work a minimum of three days per week for a total of 18 hours. This position works academic days of the year only. Schedules may vary from quarter to quarter based on the academic needs of the students. The working environment is an open area where the tutor works with students on a one-to-one or in groups.
• Provide small group, laboratory, or individual instructional assistance for Special Class or regular class instruction for students with disability related functional limitations.
• Provide assistance in content support, learning strategies, organizational, and study skills.
• Provide tutorial assistance in accordance with authorized educational accommodations.
• Keep current on tutoring methodologies and assistive technologies used to accommodate students with disabilities in EDC's learning lab.
• Recommend tutoring strategies that meet the specific learning needs of each student.
• Maintain cooperative, effective working relationships in a team setting.
• Apply policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Maintain progress and attendance records.
• Meet schedules and timelines.
• Attend meetings as appropriate.
• Tutoring and accommodation strategies and techniques
• Content material
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
• Plan and organize work.
• Office/classroom environment.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and/or on the telephone as well as making presentations..
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
• Vision to view computer monitor and read various materials.
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Any combination equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in field of assistance (Mathematics or Special Education) OR an Associate's degree plus relevant work experience.
• Experience working with the disabled preferred.
• A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
• A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Part-Time (45%), Permanent, Academic-Days-Only (ADO)
Starting date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1766931
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.