Counselor, Veteran Services
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 19-057
Campus: De Anza College
Close/Initial Review Date: 3/6/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Initial Review Date: 03/06/20**
**Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Counselor, Veteran Services, De Anza College.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
• Critical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
• Reporting to the Dean of Enrollment Services. The candidate will work directly with veteran students to support them in achieving academic goals and provide counseling and advising services for students.
• Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
• Assist students in clarifying academic goals and selecting a major. Provide electronic educational planning for students. Analyze documentation of disability to assess educational limitations and determine appropriate accommodations. Maintain accurate records as required by title 5, De Anza College and the Enrollment Services Division. Serve as a resource regarding transfer, associate degree and certificate programs. Provide workshops on counseling and disability related topics. Participate in college and division assignments and other departmental responsibilities. Develop liaisons and networks with on and off campus programs and agencies.
• Maintain accurate records as required by title 5, De Anza College and the Enrollment Services Division.
• Work with appropriate staff and faculty outside the division to meet access requirements.
• Provide workshops on counseling and veterans' related topics.
• Participate in college and division assignments and other departmental responsibilities
• Develop liaisons and networks with on and off campus programs and agencies.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of a Veteran Counselor. Veteran Counselors also have the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
• Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Vision sufficient to read various materials.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
• Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
• Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
• Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
• Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Master's degree in counseling, OR in rehabilitation counseling, OR clinical psychology, OR counseling psychology, OR guidance counseling, OR educational counseling, OR social work, or career development, OR marriage and family therapy, or marriage, OR family and child counseling OR the equivalent OR a Bachelor's degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED after an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in providing counseling and career services to multi-ethnic and underrepresented students.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in providing academic, personal, career counseling to community college students, especially underprepared students.
• Ability to provide culturally relevant strategies for developing and teaching personal development, college success and/or career courses to underprepared students.
• Demonstrated experience in serving veteran students.
• Demonstrated experience in skills and strategies in effectively serving underrepresented students.
• Demonstrated experience in working closely and collaboratively with a team.
• Demonstrated strong communication, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with counseling related technology, educational planning software, and social media.
• Experience working in a student success program
• A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
• A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
HIRING RANGE: $70,499.33 - $109,280.05 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 11-months per year
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1788645
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.