Directs, administers and coordinates the field operational activities of Eden Housing Management Inc. (EHMI). The Director of Property Management has overall responsibility for ensuring that projects developed by Eden Housing, Inc. remain fiscally sound, affordable and well-maintained.
As a member of the Extended Leadership Team (ELT), works closely with the Executive Team (ET) in formulating and administering the organization’s policies, goals and objectives. The Director of Property Operations will cultivate and sustain strong working relationships with all Eden Departments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies and developing long-range goals and objectives.
- Directs and coordinates all activities of the EHMI within established operating, fiscal and personnel policies and regulatory requirements.
- Provides direct supervision to the Associate Directors of Property Operations, Associate Director of Facilities and other positions as necessary.
- Works with Director of Training and Organizational Development to include ongoing training and coaching on specific issues, e.g., personnel or resident matters, expenditures, or compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with SVP of Human Resources to ensure fairness and equity in Property Management employees’ compensation and adherence to other personnel policies and procedures.
- Works cooperatively with Real Estate Development and Asset Management in the refinancing and large-scale capital improvements required for older portfolio projects.
- In close collaboration with the Director of Asset Management and the Director of Property Operations Administration is responsible for the financial performance of the properties. Reviews, analyzes, interprets, and summarizes annual operating budgets, monthly financial and progress reports and annual audited financial statements for all projects related to Property Management. Implements and oversees systems for cost control.
- In conjunction with property management staff, responsible for assuring excellent physical condition of the properties. Works with Associate Director of Facilities and the ADPOs to assure adequate short-term preventive maintenance and long-term capital planning.
- Supervises the preparation and delivery of written and oral reports to Eden Housing Board of Directors, its Property Operations Committee, and the Boards/Owners of each managed project.
- Confers regularly with SVP of Property Operations to review status, assess goals and objectives and determine the company’s future growth and direction.
- Serves as liaison with state, federal and regulatory offices, lenders and investors, making oral and written presentations as necessary.
- Researches, investigates, analyzes affordable housing management industry trends and developments, and in accordance with these trends/developments, prepares forecasts, action plans and recommendations for the company.
- In conjunction with the Associate Director of Compliance, ensures leasing and occupancy procedures are carried out in conformity with local, state, federal, lender, investor and regulatory requirements; and that all properties are operating at their optimum capacity.
- Plays a key leadership role in fostering strong-cross departmental (EHMI/EHRSI) site teams by working closely together and collaborating with Vice President of Resident Services and other resident services staff.
- Collaborates with Resident Services Department to ensure cross-departmental initiatives are successfully met.
- Collaborates with Vice President of Resident Services to identify and implement joint training opportunities to further build and enhance productive cooperative working relationships between site staff.
- Develops cohesive team within Property Operations and Facilities departments and cross-departmentally.
- Collaborates closely with the Director of Property Operations Administration/Development Team at the Development Watchlist Meeting to ensure cohesiveness and achievement of timely deliverables.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Four-year degree in Business, Real Estate or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in Real Estate Asset Management or Property Management with demonstrated record of assuming positions of increasing responsibility. Experience in affordable housing preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of supervisory experience with at least 3 of those years in high-level department management.
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Proven ability to direct department activities; lead by example; formulate and execute company-wide goals and objectives and assess achievement
- Superior leadership and management skills with emphasis in staff supervision and development, particularly during a time of organizational transition
- Strategic thinker
- Collaborative working style; team building approach
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and ability to represent the company to public officials, financial institution representatives and community groups
- Extensive knowledge of the affordable housing industry and applicable federal, state and local government regulations
- Thorough knowledge of personnel laws pertaining to employment, compensation, workers compensation, ADA, benefits etc.
- Strong financial background and attention to detail to prepare, forecast, review, evaluate and interpret various reports and studies, e.g., monthly progress reports, cost analyses, etc.
- Computer proficiency, particularly Excel, Word and specialized programs such as YARDI.
- Experience working with diverse groups, i.e., staff, residents, boards, outside contacts.
- Commitment to the companies’ goals and philosophy.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid California Driver’s License and insurance required.
- Real estate broker license required
- Preferred specialized training such as Certified Property Manager (CPM), Low Income Housing Tax Credit and HUD Occupancy certifications.
LANGUAGE, MATH & REASONING SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Physical demands include writing/typing, use of computer and paper files, answering phones, attending meetings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.