The Network Administrator reports to the Senior Director of Technology. He or she assists Team members with support, maintenance and optimization of core network services in support of , devices, and communications systems. He or she works alongside Business Technology (BT) Team members to provide logistical support, respond to queries, document changes, and assist with testing, assessment, diagnosis and resolution of network service outages and incidents. In addition, the Network Administrator will help plan the future growth and expansion of our computer network while maintaining our current systems and keeping our Technology staff updated on the latest connectivity and network tools and processes. The ideal candidate for this position is certified to work with Cisco networking equipment and is well-versed in Windows-based cloud computing solutions. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience at the enterprise networking level and can also work well with older technologies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Network Design and Support
- Design, implement, maintain and manage the daily operations of Eden Housing networks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems, service providers, workstations, endpoints, and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs, such as backups and restores.
- Test new releases of Network software and hardware prior to configuration and implementation.
- Create and maintain network users/permissions while maintaining network users/permissions.
- Create technical support documentation for systems and applications.
- Develop, document, and implement policies & procedures for network configuration, management, administration and maintain/implement network support and archiving procedures.
- Troubleshoot LAN and network connectivity issues using protocols such as TCP/IP, DHCP and DNS, etc.
- Configure network devices for new deployments and configure replacement network devices from backup configuration files.
- Support activities requiring Network expertise in the building, rebuilding or maintenance of enterprise servers, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with departmental standards and business requirements.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for Network administration tasks. Identify methods that leverage current resources and provide economies of scale.
- On a regular basis: apply OS patches and upgrades to Network equipment, upgrade administrative tools and utilities as applicable, add and configure new services.
- Investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve escalated Network support requests.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization, as required.
- Repair and recover hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted stakeholders.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and consulting with vendors for hardware and software purchases, services, and support.
- As applicable, maintain servers and associated hardware, applications, services, and settings.
- Support and offer input to enterprise disaster recovery/business continuity plans as applicable.
- Evaluate and recommend security improvements, upgrades and patching.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and guidance.
- Planning, engineering, implementation and maintenance of network hardware and software.
- Monitor networks to detect any suspicious or hostile activities, and take measures, such as installing firewalls, to defend against malicious attacks on the systems
- Identifying and defining the requirements of the overall security of the system.
- Investigating intrusion and hacking incidents, collecting incident responses, and carrying out forensic investigations.
- Ensure that the networking systems can bounce back or withstand any type of mishaps such as natural disasters and hacker attacks.
- Maintaining firewalls, virtual private networks, web protocols, and email security.
- Informing the company about the security incidents as soon as possible.
· Provide network support to telecommunications team members as applicable in a professional and timely manner.
- Assist Business Technology staff, outside consultants, and/or contractors on special projects as required.
- Provide training, documentation, and orientation to Eden staff on basic use of corporate network
- Document issue resolution using the Business Technology ticketing system
- Maintain open and clear communication with end-users and fellow members of the Business Technology staff
- In partnership with Business Technology staff and other stakeholders, research and identify system and software upgrades. Install new software releases, system upgrades, and patches. Train end-users where appropriate on new functionality or use of software packages.
- When necessary, escalate support issues to the Senior Director of Technology to determine appropriate course of action.
No supervisory responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical field, or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum one year of hands-on experience as an entry level network technician.
- Certification in the most current versions of Windows, Cisco, or CompTIA Network+ are considered a plus.
- 2+ years’ successful network troubleshooting experience
- Must be able to complete complex projects with minimal to no supervision
- Proven experience managing a large and complex network
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Strong safety record and a history of establishing safe work practices
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of residents or staff of the organization. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other staff of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Willingness to learn to prepare annual budgets.
Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Capacity to deal with issues involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to research problems and determine resolution.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have reliable automobile transportation, a valid California Driver’s License and insurance. Must be able and willing to travel to all properties within Eden Housing’s portfolio.
CompTIA Network+, CMNA considered a plus, CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer), and MCSA (Microsoft Certified System Administrator).
OTHER DESIRABLE SKILLS, ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Solid understanding of Office 365, Azure and cloud computing.
- Strong knowledge and experience Windows 10 in a networked environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Server 2008, 2012 and 2016.
- Strong experience working with/managing industry leading firewall products.
- Working knowledge of network topology and protocols (TCP/IP, DHCP, and DNS).
- Basic understanding of VOIP and analog telecommunications.
- Extensive experience with Cisco Meraki routers, switches, and access points.
- Acceptance and application of the confidential nature of the position.
- Professional, customer-service oriented attitude and demeanor.
- Ability to work productively, autonomously and under limited supervision. Capacity to work well independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Demonstrated success managing and executing multiple priorities and projects.
- Ability to work well under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- Effective and creative problem-solver with strong initiative and excellent follow-through.
- Familiarity with standard office equipment and machines (fax machines, copy machines, postage machines, etc.).
- Strong commitment to the companies’ mission and goals.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The individual is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The individual is occasionally required to climb or balance. The individual must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Where possible, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The individual is also occasionally exposed to cold conditions, precarious places, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The characteristics of the work environment described here are representation of those that an individual can encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Where possible, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.