The Coordinator oversees peer counseling services for the Spanish-speaking older adult population in San Mateo County. Duties include recruiting volunteers and participants for peer counseling services, organizing training for peer counselors, providing organizational/community event information, data collection during La Esperanza Vive meetings and support for Spanish speaking support groups at multiple sites.
Partial description of position
- Bilingual - English/Spanish with excellent verbal and written communication in English and Spanish.
- Flexibility and ability to work as a team player required.
- Excellent organizational skills, with experience in effective and respectful support for interdisciplinary teams, professionals, paraprofessionals, and volunteers
- At least two years of experience working with, and strong understanding of, the resource needs of the Latino older adult population, with special emphasis on
depression, isolation, and lives in transition.
- Ability to organize training programs, with at least one year experience in teaching
or providing training to groups.
- Experience in community outreach and networking.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit Spanish-speaking volunteers to become peer counselors; and interview prospective candidates, for the training class to assess appropriate volunteer abilities.
- Organize LEV Volunteer trainings including identifying content, recruiting Speakers, arrangements for schedule, location and refreshments.
- Recruit Spanish-speaking participants for peer counseling. Conduct intake/ assessment interviews, and home visits, if necessary to determine participants need for senior peer counseling services as appropriate.
- Match peer counselors to participants.
- Organize monthly La Esperanza Vive Program Clinical Supervision meetings in coordination with the Clinical Supervisor. Collect forms and required documents from peer counselors.
- Input data and track volunteer attendance at clinical supervision to ensure regular volunteer attendance.
- Personal car or driver’s license and appropriate insurance. Driving is necessary for the position. All drivers will need to have a clear driving record to drive for the agency.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.