About Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
Founded in 1974, Second Harvest of Silicon Valley is one of the largest food banks in the nation and a trusted nonprofit leader in ending local hunger. The organization distributes nutritious groceries through a network of more than 300 partners at drive-thru and walk-up sites across Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. Due to the prohibitively expensive cost of living in Silicon Valley and the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, hunger is at an all-time high. Second Harvest is now serving an average of 500,000 people every month, twice as many people as it reached pre-pandemic. Second Harvest also connects people to federal nutrition programs and other food resources, and advocates for anti-hunger policies on the local, state and national levels. To learn more about how Second Harvest is responding to the incredible amount of need in Silicon Valley, visit shfb.org.
About the Position
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing high level professional support to the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO). Candidates must be self-directed, possess a strong business acumen, and have an aptitude for anticipating up-to-the-minute priorities. This is a fast paced, deadline driven environment where the Executive Assistant must be able to solve problems independently and quickly. Responsibilities include various administrative duties: scheduling, travel arrangements, correspondence on behalf of the Chief Philanthropy Officer, independent oversight of complex projects, direct donor relations, department budget management and analysis, development and preparation of presentations, maintaining executive expense reports, research and database support.
- Handle all administrative support for the CPO including management of email communications, calendar, expense reports, travel arrangements, meeting minutes, office supply orders, etc.
- Prepare department expense trend analysis; independently manage department expense budget; collaborate with the finance department to make monthly expense projections.
- Facilitate the communication of meeting agendas for Directors and the CPO. As necessary, attend meetings and take notes. Follow up on tasks identified.
- Independently oversee complex projects as needed.
- Provide donor portfolio support by entering contact reports into Raisers Edge database, tracking recent gifts, prompting “thank you” calls, supporting stewardship activities, conducting prospect briefings and research prior to donor meetings and solicitations.
- Secure and schedule meetings with donors, colleagues, and other external constituents on behalf of the CPO.
- Ensure that donor information is accurately recorded in the Raisers Edge database.
- Supervise and coordinate volunteer or internal support for special projects; collect and maintain volunteer hours monthly.
- Act as liaison on behalf of the director with members of the team and the Second Harvest staff to ensure that priorities are met and projects are completed on time.
- Steward confidential information.
- Write and edit correspondence with donors and other key stakeholders.
- Provide administrative and donor relations support to other field fundraisers as needed to support the CPO’s portfolio and to meet campaign goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following professional qualifications:
- Quick on the uptake and ability to understand the "how and why" of a fast-moving office
- Possess superior organizational skills and pay meticulous attention to detail
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to interact with high profile executives
- Ability to coordinate simultaneous projects with seamless execution and excellent judgment
- Resourcefulness, ingenuity and exceptional problem-solving skills
- Ability to protect confidential and proprietary information with discretion
- Impeccable persuasive oral and written communication skills
- Power user with all Microsoft Office applications; exceptional Excel and Outlook skills a must
- Flexibility, sense of humor, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Ability to proficiently use relational databases (Raiser’s Edge and SalesForce experience preferred)
- Strong desire to make a difference in the lives of others
- Understanding of non-profit fundraising and marketing a plus
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and a safe DMV record. Willingness to drive personal vehicle as necessary. (Compensation for business mileage to be reimbursed at standard IRS rates.)
Chief Philanthropy Officer
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, Cypress Distribution Center, 4001 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95134
Full‐time, Exempt. Regular schedule with occasional evenings and weekends
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Outstanding and generous health benefits program, Flexible Time Off (FTO) starting at 200 hours per year, ten paid holidays, and retirement plan.
Second Harvest is committed to being an equal opportunity employer which values diversity. Under-represented groups are encouraged to apply for all positions.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.