CFJ’s work is growing, and we need additional operational support to support our expanding team. The Finance and Operations Manager is an exciting opportunity for an experienced operations professional to take on a new level of leadership. We are seeking an experienced, highly competent, and highly organized team member who can implement and sustain systems so our staff have the skills and support to do their job well. Good communication skills and a collaborative approach are a must.
This new position will manage CFJ’s finances and human resources, and oversee HR administrative processes and CFJ infrastructure and technology. The Finance and Operations Manager reports to the Finance and Administrative Director and supervises the Operations Associate. The position is full-time and exempt.
Financial Management (50%)
- Overall responsibility for data entry into accounting system, including:
- Process invoices and prepare checks for signature on a weekly basis
- Manage grants receivable and accounts receivable: enter G/R and A/R, monitor expected payments and follow up as needed, process checks and cash
- Banking: Perform monthly bank reconciliations of one checking account, four savings accounts, and credit cards
- Review and enter payroll journal entry twice a month
- Maintain and record prepaid expenses, fixed assets, and vacation liability
- Prepare financial statements and assess for accuracy and completeness. Generate reports for the Executive Director, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Manage annual audit and 990 process
- Manage comprehensive annual budgeting process
Human Resources Management (25%)
- Manage annual performance reviews & individual goal-setting
- Manage new staff job offers, orientation, and onboarding
- Oversee HR administrative processes, including payroll, benefits, background checks, salary ranges, and internal policies
- Support other HR processes as needed, including staff transitions, professional development plans, and performance issues
- Support the Finance and Administrative Director on other human resource matters as needed
Nonprofit Infrastructure and Technology (25%)
- Supervise Operations Associate in implementing all nonprofit infrastructure and technology needs
- Oversee ongoing processes and one-time projects in technology, office management and infrastructure, insurance & contracts, and legal compliance & risk management.
- Participate in local grassroots fundraising campaigns and events, and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Rotating meeting facilitation and note-taking.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Three or more years experience in accounting or bookkeeping, including at least one year of nonprofit accounting and Quickbooks experience. Proficiency in basic and intermediate accounting functions.
- Three or more years experience in a range of human resources and nonprofit administrative functions.
- Experience participating in an annual audit and creating an organizational budget
- Experience and affinity for implementing and improving systems, protocols and processes.
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Self-directed, good time management skills, and ability to manage projects
- Strong analytical skills and ability to troubleshoot
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including formulas and Pivot tables
- Supervision experience
- Technology knowledge and skills
- Experience in:
- Preparing a 990 form (annual nonprofit report to the IRS)
- Tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Experience with Mac computers
- Proficiency with Google Docs
This position will work out of CFJ’s office in San Jose or Oakland. (If based in Oakland, the Finance and Operations Manager would work 2 days a week out of the San Jose office.) Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$47,500-$57,000, depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package including substantial vacation and full medical, vision, and dental coverage.
How to Apply:
Send your resume and cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Finance and Operations Manager (San Jose) – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your résumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.