Driven. Engaging. Innovative. Do these words motivate you? If so, then we want to talk with you. Academy of Art University offers a rewarding employment experience for those who excel in a dynamic environment and who can consistently deliver high-caliber customer service. We thrive on ingenuity and pursue ideas every day that lead to extraordinary opportunities for tomorrow. Apply here for your next career!
Academy of Art University is hiring for a Lead Model Shop Technician to support the University's School of Architecture. This is a full-time, onsite position located in downtown San Francisco.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Train and provide for the safety of all students using the Model Shop.
- Assist students in the fabrication of architectural models and related projects.
- Monitor Safety in Entire Model Shop Facility.
- Maintain and update all OSHA / HAZMAT documents pertaining to the shop at large.
- Attend safety orientations meetings pertaining to the Architecture Department and the University at large.
- Perform general maintenance, simple construction and fabrication as assigned by the Department Director.
- Issue and recover tools for students and instructors.
- Clean, repair, and maintain all tools and machinery in the model shop, particularly wood shop equipment.
- Regularly inventory shop tools and supplies.
- Serve as primary point of contact for escalation of Shop issues or troubleshooting needs in absence of management.
- Co-manage CNC router sign ups and running jobs.
- Submit supply requests of materials and parts requiring replacement to supervisor, particularly all wood shop equipment consumables and replacement parts.
- Work with Shop Manager to Research future equipment and material acquisitions.
- During the intersession, prepare ARH shop for the coming semester, especially all wood shop equipment.
- Assist in coordination and facilitation of all ARH exhibits, especially Spring Show and NAAB accreditation visits.
- Support LAN and IAD with exhibits, including Spring Show and accreditation visits.
- Assist with model storage, photography, and archiving.
- Assist with studio preparedness for the beginning and end of each semester, as well as visits from the public, potential students, and outside schools.
- Assist other academic departments in supervising and maintaining shops, as well as preparing shops for upcoming semesters.
- Must be skilled in the operation of standard hand tools and large-scale equipment specific to that of a metal shop including, but not limited to, TIG welder, gas torch, metal cutting band saw, abrasive saw, pedestal grinder, etc.
- Must demonstrate direct or applicable experience in the use of a computer-controlled laser engraving system.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the following software: Microsoft Office, Adobe CS3 suite and AutoCAD.
- Must possess a basic knowledge of the tools, materials and techniques typical to the representation and fabrication of Architectural models.
- Must be skilled in the operation of standard hand tools as well as large-scale shop equipment including, but not limited to, table saw, drill press, miter saw, band saw, router, belt sander, etc.
- Must possess at least one year of administrative experience preferably in an educational or architectural environment.
Academy of Art University offers full-time employees health insurance, 401k options, paid vacation based on years of service (15 days' accrual at start), paid holidays, paid sick leave and a commuter benefit program. The Academy also offers full-time employees an opportunity to take one undergraduate course tuition free each semester. Employees also have access to our multi-lane swimming pool, fitness center and recreational programs, including our NCAA Division II events.
Academy of Art University is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered regardless of age, Aids or HIV positive status, marital status, domestic partnership, medical condition or genetic characteristics, race or national origin, pregnancy, religion, sex, gender identity, gender or sexual orientation, name change, citizenship, physical or mental disability, veteran status or other status protected by federal, state, local or other law. Equal access to the hiring process, services, and employment is available to all persons. Applicants requiring accommodations to the application and/or interview process should contact the Human Resources Manager by calling 415-274-2222. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.