The Food Safety & Quality Assurance (FSQA) Supervisor is responsible for ensuring See’s Food Safety and Quality programs are fully implemented and documented at each facility to achieve compliance with all applicable federal and state food regulations, Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) regulations and the Safe Quality Foods (SQF) code. This position involves direct leadership and management of employees on the facility floor; mastering and applying all See’s Food Safety and Quality policies and procedures in daily interactions with plant and quality employees; utilizing statistical process control (SPC) and other quality improvement tools to meet and continuously improve safety, sustainability, food safety and food quality KPIs. In the absence of FSQA Manager, assumes duties and serve as the sites’ backup SQF Practitioner.
- Supervise the activities of the QA Inspectors by scheduling coverage, assigning work, providing appropriate training in site-specific standard operating procedures (SOP) and One Point Lessons (OPL).
- Responsible for all other supervisory activities including, but not limited to, labor budget management, performance evaluation, hiring, discipline, coaching, training and development and termination recommendation.
- Maintain a safe work environment at all times by having safe work instructions, practices, and procedures in place for QA Inspectors; ensure that employees are trained to understand and comply with those procedures. Apply corrective action consistently when required. Report all unsafe working conditions immediately to management.
- Demonstrate ownership and practical knowledge of all applicable See’s Food Safety and Quality Program and apply them throughout daily responsibilities to make sound decisions and execute food safety & quality oversight.
- Able to quickly and thoroughly investigate a product/process failure, determine the root cause and take prompt corrective actions while minimizing product exposure and production down time.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to enhance technology and innovation that will enhance department effectiveness.
- Manage relationships with intra- and inter- departmental colleagues and suppliers to ensure achievement of departmental and company-wide targets.
- Administer all facilities’ hold, release and traceability program.
- Ensure QA Inspectors collaborate with the laboratory staff and coordinators to manage timely release of equipment, ingredients and finished products.
- Ensure internal records are saved or submitted and reviewed on a timely basis. Report and create corrective actions for deficiencies and missing data.
- Review all preventative control and quality check records in both paper and electronic formats.
- Facilitate transitions between shifts for seamless handoffs; communicate key information to peers, team members and Management.
- Participate in the review, verification and update of hazard analysis critical control point/hazard analysis & risk-based preventive controls (HACCP/HARPC) plans, OPLs, SOPs, registers and forms as needed to protect product safety and quality.
- Participate in routine facility audit and Corporate audit to ensure site is in compliance to the latest edition of the SQF code.
- Lead the training of associates at all levels on quality programs, as directed.
- Support implementation and the execution of the company’s ERP system.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- In the absence of FSQA Manager, the FSQA Supervisor will assume responsibility for FSQA Manager.
- All See’s staff must be committed to the company’s core principles and workplace values, including a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor Degree in Food Science or related science field; equivalent related work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 3 years of Quality Assurance experience in the food industry.
- Highly experienced in supervising teams at multiple locations in person and remotely.
- Regular, punctual, physical attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to work 2nd shift on a routine basis to observe and audit sanitation activities.
- Ability to function as FSQA Manager on 2nd shift during peak seasons
- Self-starter with demonstrated high level of initiative.
- Ability to work well with others under pressure, in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make intra-day travel to other local See’s facilities within short notice.
- PC Proficiency: Windows, MS Office - Word, Excel, Power Point (or equivalent software).
- SQF Practitioner Certification or has SQF working knowledge required.
- HAPRC/HACCP and Preventive Controls qualified Individual (PCQI) Certifications required.
- Conversational Spanish or Cantonese a plus.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly and manage change efficiently, proactively and in a positive manner.
See's is an EOE
See’s will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state or federal law (including San Francisco Ordinance #131192 and Los Angeles Municipal Code 189.00).
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.