Work is Sweet!
'Quality without Compromise' is not just a motto at See's Candies. It is the most important ingredient in our recipe for success. See's Candies has been in business since 1921 and maintains a reputation for producing the highest quality candy and providing superior customer service.
See's is a leader in the confectionary industry with over 250 retail shops across the USA.
The Research & Development (R&D) Manager is responsible for improving all aspects of quality manufacturing process of confectionary products in the Daly City manufacturing plant. This position works closely with cross functional areas within the organization to ensure that all parties understand pertinent requirements and to ensure that compliance to product and process specification is maintained.
- Monitors production of candy to ensure candy flavor, appearance, and texture produced meets expectations.
- Plays key role in investigating all quality problems with the candy in equipment, processes, ingredients, and formula compliance. Analyzes rejected or scraped product and works with FSQA and Operations to trend collected data and determine root cause. Identifies opportunities for product/process improvement and cost reduction
- Trains and develops people at all level (from shop floor to management) on manufacturing confections skills.
- Integrally involved in waste reduction as part of process improvement. Reduces waste caused by poor production situations, or just generated as a course of making candy. Also looks for usage opportunities of ingredients that are high quality, but could be unusable for other reasons (splits on nuts, pieces instead of halves, leftover raw materials from special items, etc.)
- Writes/updates detailed finished product specifications for shop floor use to ensure consistency in product quality and performance. Also generates specs for company-wide use.
- Responsible for inputting recipes into Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, ensuring appropriate processing steps and yield are captured.
- Evaluates raw materials from new suppliers to assure consistency with the spec for each piece and participates in qualifying/review of new suppliers for ongoing supply.
- Part of the sensory group that tastes produced product and ingredients to assure consistency with our expectations.
- Establishes/confirms shelf life of ingredients, intermediate/works in process (WIP) products and finished goods through structured studies and test which include sensory evaluation. Communicates progress to all departments associated with projects in writing and/or in person, as situation dictates.
- Responsible for scale up of new products from bench top to the manufacturing floor. This includes development of nutritional labels for newly developed products.
- Evaluates new processing equipment and new processes in LA to ensure product performs to See’s established specifications for flavor, appearance, texture and color throughout its shelf life.
- Supports FSQA in the assessment of raw material quality as the resident technical expert of our products and process. Works with Engineering, Operations, and FSQA on improving machinability of existing products and/or raw material performance.
- Improves and maintains written product formulas. Audits current product formulas and revises them as needed to ensure they are detailed enough to yield consistency in manufacturing steps and product quality.
- Develops and maintains ingredient specifications in collaboration with FSQA, Procurement and Suppliers.
- Pulls random samples of product from local shops and leads “product-cutting” with FSQA and Operations, to evaluate the quality of products that have gone through warehousing and distribution processes.
- Participates with FSQA in evaluating packs pulled from inventory (warehouses) at start, mid- point and end of shelf life to ensure product is performing as expected through shelf life. Ensure product is packed to approved packing grids.
- Maintains timely and accurate records of all product/process improvement activities as well supplier visits. Generates monthly status report of improvements accomplished.
- Attends and participates in the daily Operational meeting in LA plus other designated meetings on an as-needed basis.
- The R&D Manager’s success will come from people and process; developing positive working relationships and using a collaborative approach will insure overall success.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in confectionery technical support, product development or other relevant category of food processing industry.
- BS Degree in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field; equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Sufficient understanding of product, process, systems and equipment to troubleshoot problems and provide solutions to senior management.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills.
See's is an EOE
See’s will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state or federal law (including San Francisco Ordinance #131192 and Los Angeles Municipal Code 189.00).
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.