Founded in 1976, Samtec is a privately held, $950 million global manufacturer of a broad line of electronic interconnect solutions, including High-Speed Board-to-Board, High-Speed Cables, Mid-Board and Panel Optics, Precision RF, Flexible Stacking, and Micro/Rugged components and cables. Samtec Technology Centers are dedicated to developing and advancing technologies, strategies and products to optimize both the performance and cost of a system from the bare die to an interface 100 meters away, and all interconnect points in between. With 40+ international locations and products sold in more than 125 different countries, Samtec’s global presence enables its unmatched customer service.
Optical Product Architect
The Optical Product Architect will create detailed product concepts & architectures for optical transceivers. Products will combine tradeoffs and considerations in mechanical, thermal & optical designs which meet performance specification, and which are manufacturable in volume at market-compatible cost targets.
Sample of General Responsibilities
· Create new product concepts and architectures, especially mechanical, thermal, and optical designs.
· Oversee evaluations of viability of technical concepts and proposals.
· Engineering leadership and technical project management.
· Lead new product designs and developments.
· Lead design reviews: mechanical, thermal, optical, electronic, manufacturability, cost.
· Create and execute technical project management plans. This includes people/team direction and schedule management.
· Collaborate with other design centers and manufacturing locations. Direct status meetings with design and manufacturing teams.
· Collaborate with Application Engineering to resolve product technical issues during and after customer design-in.
· Provide technical support to strategic new product road-map discussions and existing product enhancements.
· Work with manufacturing people to choose production equipment and assembly/test processes.
· Prepare presentations to management and team engineers which require justification of the architectural choices and the manufacturing approach to achieve production, throughput, cost & yield.
· ITAR: Must be able to legally work in the United States. Position requires the candidate to be a US Person as defined in ITAR, 22 CFR 120.15 (US Citizenship or Resident Alien Status) and defined by 8 USC 1101(a) (20)
Required Education and Experience:
· Master’s Degree or greater in Mechanical Engineering or Physics (Optics) is required
· 15+ years of experience in (multi-lane) optical transceiver product design & engineering with transition to volume manufacturing. Success with at least two generations of transceiver or active optical cable product design.
· Hands-on competence with mechanical, thermal, and optical design of miniature optical transceivers with integrated electrical/optical connectors, including fluency in CAD design/simulations and sensitivity analysis.
· Hands-on experience with component assemblies through the new product introduction cycle for volume applications. Such products must have included:
· CAD design of miniature high-dissipation microwave substrates, optical alignments, and flip-chip mounting of integrated circuits.
· Strong understanding of material science.
· Fundamental understanding of the trade-offs in various engineering disciplines.
· A Vision of products which will meet challenging customer requirements.
· Personality fit: collaborative, customer focused, decisive but good listener.
***When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.