The as-needed Museum Preparator engages the Airport’s audiences by creating exceptional exhibitions. Under general supervision and working as part of a team of preparators, this position provides a wide variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the preparation, production, installation and care of museum exhibits and works of art and performs related duties as required.
The essential functions of this classiﬁcation include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate in a fast-paced team environment;
- Assist in the preparation, hanging, installation and deinstallation of exhibition and collection objects utilizing proper handling and security techniques;
- Assist in the packing, loading, and unloading of art objects;
- Assist with lighting, A/V installation, cutting and assembling mats for photographs and prints, and object mount-making;
- Construct and/or paint exhibition furniture such as walls, platforms, pedestals, risers, mounts, and other fixtures;
- Perform various skilled and semi-skilled tasks including safely working with power tools, adhesives, and metals;
- Affix exhibition labels, didactics, graphics, photographs, and other materials to walls within exhibition cases;
- Participate in general shop operations including cleaning and organizing of shop spaces;
- Work with all levels of Museum staff and may communicate with colleagues in other Airport departments. The positions report to the 3542 Curator II, Exhibition Production Supervisor, work as a team within the Preparation department, and have no direct reports;
- Other related duties, as assigned.
Possession of an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Art, Fine Arts, Museum Studies or a related field; AND
Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
One year full-time employment is equivalent to 2,000 hours (2,000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40 hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as this announcement may close at any time after 5:00 PM on Friday, April 7, 2023.