Ramp Agent/Baggage Handler - Hiring for late April through June 2023!
Starting pay of $19.65 per hour with a $10,000 signing bonus and competitive benefits
There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines! We’re on a path towards becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live and fly, and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. And we’re growing – in the years ahead, we’ll hire tens of thousands of people across every area of the airline. Our careers include competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy and well-traveled. From world-class benefits like 401k and space available travel privileges, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?
The Ramp Service Employee (RSE) is responsible for processing baggage, boxes, and/or cargo between baggage/cargo areas in the airport facilities and aircraft, as well as receiving and dispatching aircraft. We pride ourselves on being an on-time airline and are seeking dedicated individuals that understand a fast-paced environment while maintaining high-quality standards of operational safety and customer service.
As a ramp service employee here’s what you’ll do:
As part of our baggage handling team, you will work up close and personal with the United fleet of aircraft to meet arriving and departing flights. You will be in constant motion as you take on many assignments like loading and unloading aircraft cargo, moving baggage to and from terminals, and receiving and dispatching aircraft. It’s a varied job that can be fun, rewarding and exhilarating, all at once.
- Lift baggage, boxes, or cargo weighing up to 70 lbs. when loading/unloading aircraft, carts, and containers
- Loading/unloading may require lifting over 100 items for a single aircraft
- Push/pull loaded and empty carts and containers during loading/unloading operations
- Couple/uncouple carts and/or cargo container dollies
- Ascend/descend jet-way stairs while carrying baggage
- Bend/stoop and crawl to move and stack/unstack cargo in aircraft and containers
- Complete safety checklists for motorized equipment
- Drive and operate motorized equipment (e.g., conveyor belt)
- Read and interpret aircraft load sheets, checked baggage tags, and cargo labels
- Count baggage/cargo being uploaded/unloaded during operations
- Use signaling devices to communicate with co-workers or flight crew
- Ensure compliance with United and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and policies
What's needed to succeed (minimum requirements)
- High School Diploma, GED or education equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must possess a valid state-issued driver’s license
- Acceptable driving record
- Must pass a background check
- Must be eligible to acquire and maintain credentials vital for the position
- Position-specific clearances include but are not limited to FAA, TSA, Port Authority, U.S. Customs and U.S. Postal Service clearances
- Must pass a pre-placement physical abilities test, hearing and vision tests, and drug screen
- Available during day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays; mandatory overtime may be required based on operational need
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently
- Can lift up to 70 lbs
- Able to perform a variety of physical activities including bending, stooping, climbing and working in tight spaces
- Work outdoors in all temperatures and weather conditions
- Work where there will be exposure to high noise levels
- Must NOT have lived outside of the United States in the past 3 years for any period longer than six months, with the exception of military duty or government-approved exceptions
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
- Reliable, punctual attendance is a crucial function of the position
What we provide
- Pay Rate ~ $19.65/hour: Eligible for overtime & seniority-based pay raises
- Bonus: $10,000 Sign-On Bonus
- Competitive benefits: 401(k), pension plan, health insurance and Employee Assistance Plan for yourself and your family
- Discounted travel: Fly United for free - domestic and international - bring your family & friends too!
- Career advancement opportunities: Learn and grow into leadership roles (Over half of our leaders started in operations)
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact JobAccommodations@united.com to request accommodation.
***When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVAworks Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVAworks Career Advisor.
And it's a good one! Our 80,000+ hero characters are on a mission to do good in the air and on the ground, working to make the world a happier, greener, more inclusive, more fascinating place. Learn more about the story of United — the story of an airline when Good Leads The Way.
We are building the future of sustainable flight, diversifying our flight deck and reimagining the entire flying experience to better serve you.
No change fees, upgraded planes, free inflight messaging, an award-winning app and destinations only United flies to — where will good lead you?