Job Summary: The Manager, Procurement reports to the Director, Procurement and is responsible for managing the procurement of goods, materials, equipment, professional services, and public works required for bus and rail operations for the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain), and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA).
Examples of Essential Functions:
- Manage assigned teams who administer the procurement process for the Caltrain Modernization Program (CalMod), public works, rail operations, professional services, and small purchases.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of procurement policies, business process improvements, changes, and standard operating procedures.
- Authorize award of procurement contracts, contract amendments, and work directives consistent with procurement policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with staff, legal counsel, and Risk Management to resolve complex purchasing issues. Interpret provisions of Federal and State regulations pertinent to procurement.
- Manage the agency’s Procurement Credit Card Program.
- Supervise Staff. Hire, mentor, and take appropriate corrective and/or disciplinary action. Ensure EEO policies and procedures are followed. Participate in selection of staff. Coordinate staff training and professional development. Establish performance objectives. Monitor and evaluate employee performance.
Examples of Duties:
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate, auditable procurement contract records.
- Create and maintain procurement forms, templates and manuals, in accordance with Federal, State, and local rules and regulations.
- Collaborate with department staff and subject matter experts such as Legal Counsel, Labor Compliance, etc.
- Coordinate the department’s response to various agency audits: address requests and findings.
- Research and implement new software services for improving procurement processes.
- Assist with preparing, reviewing, and analyzing procurement reports for the Board of Directors and other stakeholders.
- Create metrics to measure operational transactions and department performance.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Procurement Credit Card Program, including documentation, training, monitoring, and compliance.
- Provide training to department staff and internal stakeholders on solicitation and contracting processes.
- Evaluate job performance of staff which also includes the professional development of staff through the identification of on-the-job and other professional development opportunities.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision: Work under the supervision of the Director, Procurement who establishes goals, objectives, and evaluates performance.
Minimum Qualifications: Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Finance, or related field.
- Five (5) years of full-time public agency purchasing experience including information technology, public works, and professional services contracts.
- Three (3) years of managerial experience.
- Certified Professional Public Buyer, Certified Public Procurement Officer, or similar certification is desired.
- Must be experienced with an Enterprise Resource Planning System. PeopleSoft experience is desired.
- Transportation agency procurement experience is desired.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have effective oral and written communication and presentation skills.
The supplemental questions should be answered thoroughly, clearly and concisely as the responses provided (along with the entire application package) will be carefully reviewed to determine which candidates will move forward in the recruitment process.
- Describe in detail your specific duties and responsibilities working in a professional procurement department, including conducting research and analysis of complex operations; recommending and implementing process improvements; and advising management on matters related to the organization’s purchasing activities and their impact on operations. Please indicate your level of participation in these duties and your responsibilities.
- Describe three solicitations you completed during the past five years, include any unusual aspects (e.g. high risk, high dollar, uniqueness, compressed procurement timeline, etc.) that required out of the box thinking. What was their significance to your agency/firm?
- Describe your experience as a supervisor that qualifies you for a manager Explain how you have successfully addressed a difficult personnel issue.
- Describe your experience creating procurement related manuals, policies, and standard operating procedures. Provide one or more examples of how you implemented a new process as a result of a policy or procedural change, and describe how you handled employees who did not welcome the change.
Selection Process May Include:
Applications and the Supplemental Questionnaire will be screened for completeness and minimum qualifications
Written and/or skills assessment examination
Finalists will be interviewed by a screening and selection panel
Current Employment Benefits at SamTrans:
Holidays: Seven paid holidays, plus up to five floating holidays per year
Time Off: Paid Time Off: 26 days per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance, and more
Transportation: Free bus transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Retirement: Social Security and California Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS)
- Classic Members – 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
- New Members – 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
How to Apply:
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.
Although we encourage applicants to apply online, we are still accepting paper applications.
- Apply online or complete a SamTrans Employment Application per instructions printed on the application.
- When completing the online application, please follow instructions on the Prospective Employee Reference Guide found at smctd.com/jobs.html. When completing the paper application, please specify the position for which the application is being submitted.
- Incomplete or improperly completed online or paper applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online or paper application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position(s) for which you are applying.
- Your completed application package must be received by the District’s Human Resources Department by the specified deadline to receive consideration. Paper applications must be received by the Human Resources Department by 4:30 pm on the application deadline date. Online applications must be submitted prior to midnight on the application deadline date.
By 11:59 pm on Friday, April 27, 2018.