Reporting directly to the Accounting Manager, the Payroll Accountant performs complex work involved in the accounting, recording, auditing and reporting of PAU’s payroll. Employee payroll information is maintained in ADP and on an internal server. This position interprets and applies Federal and State regulations, as well as internal PAU policies and procedures. The Payroll Accountant performs a broad range of duties to ensure the accuracy of PAU’s payroll expenditures.
• Assist Accounting Manager with payroll processing and reporting activities in order to maintain accurate salary and benefits costs in PAU’s ERP system.
• Develop and maintain complex payroll spreadsheets for faculty compensation; compile, analyze, calculate, and audit information from all relevant forms; process adjustments, codes, and enter information into payroll system.
• Processes accurate and timely regular (semi-monthly) and supplemental payroll for all employee groups; • Extract data from student timesheets platform and verify the accuracy of pay rate, department, and hours worked before it is uploaded to payroll system.
• Partner with HR to ensure benefits are correctly and efficiently managed in the payroll system
• Maintains and audits retirement contributions to 403(b) vendor.
• Monitor hours worked by part-time employees, student employees, and adjunct faculty to ensure authorization of work, correct use of budget codes, verification of pay rate, and to prevent over expenditure of funds.
• Calculate IRS, FTB, and family support garnishments in accordance with regulations; process deductions and disburse payments on a semi-monthly basis.
• Coordinate distribution and filing of payroll documents, reports, and records advice of deposit notices and withdrawals; file and maintain supporting payroll documentation including internal forms, 941 tax reports, and W2’s in payroll system.
• Assist with audit and tax preparation
• Provide necessary payroll data report to support reconciliation for various functional departments Qualifications
• BA/BS in Accounting or Finance or Business Management with an emphasis in Accounting required;
• A minimum of five years of experience with primary responsibility for payroll administration and processing, including time and attendance
• A minimum of three years of experience performing general accounting duties, including preparing journal entries and reconciliations
• Experienced in using ADP Workforce Now, ADP reporting and GL Interface
• Strong accounting skills, detail oriented, well organized, able to prioritize work, and advanced proficiency in Excel such as pivot table and vlookup
• Ability to multitask effectively, efficiently perform duties and meet deadlines • Knowledge of payroll and accounting practices and principles.
• Knowledge of state and federal employment laws relating to key areas of responsibility.
• Excellent attendance and punctuality, collegial and diplomatic behavior at work, and work performance to the satisfaction of management are essential functions of the position.
• Prior experience in an educational environment is highly desirable.
When applying, please note that you saw the job posted on the NOVA Job Board. If you need help with your resumé, please see a NOVA Career Advisor.